I often find myself forgetting the multiple ways to increase website traffic, so I decided to write a list of the most effective short and long term ways to increase website traffic.
- Ping, ping, ping. I try to use ping-matic whenever I add new content to my websites. Every time I add new content I ping, and you should too.
- Spread the word. By telling people about your content you can increase your page views dramatically. Of course, you have to do this without spamming, and that requires some work. Instead of promoting our website in an irrelevant way (spamming forums or people) provide links to your relevant articles; for example, if a forum topic is about making money through adsense, contribute a bit to the topic and explain that you have more information at your website (and provide a link to the article).
- Market your articles. By utilizing services such as EzineArticles you can get other publishers to link back to your website thanks to the resource box. Keep in mind, though, that this is a long-term strategy and odds are they you will not see an increase in traffic overnight.
- Create a virus. We already give away a ton of information on our websites, why not put it all together in an eBook and give that away for free as well? If all of your content is unique, people will want to read it: let them download it and redistribute it, and if you’re lucky it’ll circulate around the Internet.
- Submit to other websites. Websites like Slashdot, Fark, ReallySimpleNews, and Digg offer publishers a unique opportunity to speak directly to their very large audience. Of course, the trick is to get the community to actually see the content, and to do that your content needs to be on topic: Fark demands humor, Slashdot demands tech news, and Digg demands good, quality content. Remember: none of the users of these websites like spam, so submitting your marketing articles to Diggs gaming section will only result in your article getting buried. Be specific and be on topic, and you may get lucky.
- Keyword density. Of course, the best long-term traffic building solution is the get the proper keyword density: you need to place your set of keywords in the title of the webpage, the header of the webpage, once in bold, once in italic, and once plain. Basically, you need to make sure that the googlebots will understand what the webpage is about, but without hurting a human’s ability to comprehend the page.